Monday, August 15, 2011

Q Turns One!

Since the main purpose of all of this is to help me remember things, I thought I'd do a recap of my best little man's first birthday. It's already been almost 4 months, so I honestly probably forgot half of the day at this point. But here we go. First we had to decide what kind of celebration to have. Little family get together? Big bad-ass blowout?  Since he'd have no idea what was going on, and would never remember it, we decided (I decided; Shawn's kinda "meh" about b-days) to go somewhere in the middle of the two.  Even with just a couple of people in attendance our apartment would be too small, so I had to figure out where this whole thing would take place. We live in Washington, and it was April, so outdoors was out of the question. And of course the cabana at our apartment was in the midst of construction. So turned to the fine folks at Alfy's Pizza. My baby shower was there and it worked great. Plus- FREE! His first birthday was on a Saturday, so that worked well.  Next was trying to figure out a "theme."  This stressed me out. I looked at way to many pictures of perfect, adorable parties before realizing if nothing else I was just too lazy to manage something so nice. Then Target came to the rescue in the form of a collection of Monster Plates & napkins. Done!
Other than deciding to use some of his stuffed animals as decoration, there wasn't much more to the theme.
Then it was time to decide on a cake. Shawn came up with the brilliant idea of making a cake in the shape of a Q. We bought a huge round cake pan, and Shawn cut a circle out of the middle and used that piece to create the "kickstand' of the letter. It was AWESOME!  Meanwhile I made 'Q' & '1' sugar cookies, and cupcakes to make sure we had enough sugar to put everyone into comas.



Also made for the occasion- A poster board displaying a pic of the little man from every month. I turned out pretty good.


However, this banner made by a friend was so freakin' awesome! Unfortunately this is the best picture I got:



On the day of I know I got all stressed out an annoyed trying to get everything set up in the few minutes we had to get ready before people. I might have gotten testy and impatient with people, which isn't really like me. I'm blaming the pregnancy for that. Also that I got a phone call in the middle of all of this from my mom to let me know she wouldn't make it in time for the party. I'm not even going to get into how annoyed and upset I was by that.

So people arrived. There was chatting and ooh-ing and awh-ing over my super adorable kid.
There was Pizza for the very first time!

Then it was CAKE TIME!This kid dove into that cake like he knew what was what. No worries out of him about trying a new food!

Nothing left but crumbs.

There wasn't really time for presents (And we'd actually asked people not to bring any, so there weren't a lot anyway).  We just tried to visit with everyone before time was up.


After the pizza party we headed on home to wait for my mom & sister to finally arrive and then open presents. I knew he wouldn't understand what was going on, but I thought he'd at least be interested in ripping open gifts. Nope. Just wanted to run around the house dragging a dozen balloons behind him and tripping all over the place.



The person that did want to open presents, so bad he could hardly stand it was my 5 yr old nephew. He was very interested in "helping", ha!
More Balloon madness:

And to end the day,an attempt at a few family pictures (We're holding the birthday card we gave him, though I don't know why since you can't really see it)



No comments:

Post a Comment